Hello, I'm j4s0n (Jason Casey).
Here's what I do whenever I can:
"Live Visual Artist" AKA VJ
- create custom, audio reactive & MIDI controllable visuals and lighting for live music and art events. Usually during the event.
- grab live audio input from DJs or bands to drive effect parameters and draw waveforms in the awesome Magic Music Visuals application.
- use mostly realtime generated sources like OpenGL shaders, FFGL generators and effects, iPad / android apps, live cameras, video games...
- mask in DJ or event logos and make them bounce to the bass
- map MIDI controls or TouchOSC to interesting parameters and dance with my hands.
- mix all that together in Resolume Arena and project on to interesting surfaces, plain screens, LCD panels, LED walls, artNet LED strips/grids, DMX lighting...
Other interests include:
- build and modify electronics like MIDI / OSC / DMX / ArtNet devices, synthesizers, thrift-store music toys. Check out the rest of this site for some examples of that stuff.
- design / prototype electronics for LED clothing with Desert Glow Apparel
- build and modify computers for PC gaming, retro emulation, media servers...
- improvised synth noise and beats with various hardware and software
- designing and 3D printing useful objects, jewelry, RC parts, and pointless dodads.
Here are some examples from my Instagram account of me doing my VJ thing at live events. Turn your volume down for most of them. You've been warned...
I'm also part of a multidimensional audio visual situation called Hi-Fi Reactor, check us out...
These are some Magic compositions I screen recorded along with music playing on Pandora. Then, trimmed and titled with Premiere.